This Valentine’s Day, Celebrate Pal-entine’s Day! ?
Valentine’s day is fast approaching. This week’s self-care article is about Gal-entine’s Day (or Pal-entine’s day)! In this entry, I hope to explore the most wonderful kind of romance of all: friendship! While romantic partnerships take the spotlight on this holiday, and couples indulge in romantic gestures, gift-giving, and extra-special dates, it’s important to keep in mind that other relationships in our lives, namely friendships, are just as worthy of the recognition and romance that Valentine’s day celebrates. That being said, romantic relationships are often seen as the be-all-end-all of true love. Even differentiating them as “romantic” relationships allows us put the romance of true friendship on the back burner in our minds.
Every year, even when I’ve been partnered, my friends and I make a point to celebrate Pal-entine’s Day. The idea originates from an episode of the sitcom Parks and Recreation, in which the lead female characters, frustrated with being single, proclaim that February 13th be known as Gal-entine’s day! Whether you’re single or Valentine’d up, celebrating our best friends for this holiday can be a great opportunity to show them how much they mean to us.
Creating and maintaining our support networks is vital to practicing self-care. Knowing we have friends who love and support us without judgment allows us freedom and the peace of mind that we are not alone. Caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we don’t always have the time and energy to nurture our closest friendships. Vulnerability and truth-telling affirm intimacy and support among pals, and keeps the love going; even when you can’t see one another often.
This February 13th, I challenge all of you to be extra romantic with your friends. Here are a few ideas:
- Get a bouquet of roses and give one to each of your close friends!
- Tell your gal pal how proud you are of her for everything she’s accomplished. Let her know that you’ll be there for her no matter what, and that she will always find love and support in you.
- Plan a romantic dinner date, spa date, or wine date with your bestie!
- Recall a time your pal helped you out, and hit them back with a token of your appreciation, whether it be a small gift or just a phone call to let them know how much their support meant to you in that time.
- Write a cute, romantic, snail mail love letter (the more glitter and hearts the better!) to a favourite friend who isn’t in town anymore.