The holiday season is filled with joy & excitement but it can also be a very stressful time for many! Looking after gifts for loved ones, preparing the home for guests, and entertaining can certainly take a toll. Here are our TOP 8 ways to unwind this season to help keep your season merry & less scary.
1. Plan Ahead. Stay on top of all you need to get done by making a list & checking it twice! This applies to grocery shopping, gift purchasing, and chores. No one wants to take precious holiday time away from their lives by making unnecessary trips to the grocery store or to the mall for things you missed the first time around.
2. Buy in bulk. Attending lots of parties over the holidays? Figure out what you will bring for a host/hostess gift & purchase all the items you will need in one go!
3. Ask for Help. You are not alone! It’s easy to get caught up in the hustle & bustle and believe you can do it ALL but the reality is, holiday prep can be A LOT of work. Ask family & friends to pitch in on decorating, cooking, and gathering supplies. You may even have some fun along the way doing these “chores” together.
4. Shop on Slow Days. If you are able to do your shopping during the less busy hours (daytimes/weekdays) then take advantage of this! You’ll find you enjoy your experience more when you aren’t being trampled by shoppers and waiting in long checkout lines.
5. Accept the uncontrollable. For those who have to travel over the holidays, you know that things don’t always go according to plan. Weather delays, traffic, and mass amounts of travelers can cause added stress on your schedule. Accept that this is a reality of this time of year and find ways to enjoy it! Bring a book, magazine, and your favourite podcasts to get you through long lines & delays.
6. Take time for Yourself. This is a big one! Prioritize yourself even when you feel like you can’t. Sip a tea & read your book, cozy up with a holiday movie, or visit the spa for some pampering! Letting go of stress & worry, even in short bursts, will help keep you energized through the holidays.
7. Maintain Healthy Habits. It’s SO easy to slide into some unhealthy holiday habits: eating sweets, drinking festive cocktails, and skipping workouts can throw you off track and make you feel sluggish. As much as possible, try to stick to your healthy eating and exercise regimen to keep you on the right track moving into the new year.
8. Savour traditions. We all have our favourite holiday traditions with our loved ones. Enjoy these precious moments together & the memories will keep you feeling warm and fuzzy even through the busy and stressful times.