Life is constantly about bargaining. If I do this, then I can’t do that. If I go here, I can’t go there. If I choose this, I won’t choose that. We make decisions all day every day that shape and impact who we are and how we live our lives. But very often our choices don’t feel like our own. We have obligations, responsibilities and commitments that fill up our schedules and our minds. Many of these things are unavoidable: work, parenting, and school to name a few. Our lives can become so easily controlled by the “should-dos” and “have-tos” that we lose sight of the opportunities we DO have to make positive, personal choices that help to give balance and meaning to our lives. Here are a few of our favourite ways to seek balance in a busy world.
- Know yourself & your limits. It’s easy to get caught up with work or a special project. However, we all have a limit, and we need to recognize that limit to avoid burning out. In the long run, overdoing it will have more harm than good. If something on your to-do list can wait, let it be. Prioritize your workload and take pride in knowing when you’ve reached your maximum effort.
- Schedule free time. It’s not selfish to make a point setting aside time just for yourself to do whatever you please! Just because you appear to be “free” doesn’t mean you need to fill this time with anything specific. This is time you can use for re-connecting with yourself in any way that seems meaningful to you. Reading, taking a bath, enjoying a hike, or listening to music are all great ways to enjoy some self-care.
- Eat well & meal prep. Fueling your body with healthy meals and snacks will give you the energy you need to power through your day. Meal prepping is a great way to reduce the strain on your time so that you’re not rushing on busy evenings to get a meal on the table. Meal prepping also takes the stress out of the dreaded daily “what are we having for dinner” question.
- Stay inspired. When we focus on our passions and the core of what drives us we are able to live a much more fulfilling and enjoyable life. Keep that fire by staying inspired. Read uplifting literature, enjoy favourite quotes and podcasts, and make choices that fuel your passions.
- Exercise. Find joy in the capacity your body has to move! Try different workouts and styles of exercise until you find the right one for you. Before long, your body & mind will come to love the training you’re doing. Exercise also releases endorphins which boost your mood. Better mood, better balance.
- Find your tribe. Surround yourself with people who genuinely love and care for you! Maintaining positive and healthy relationships can be very uplifting and supporting. Time spent with people you choose to spend time with should give you energy and peace. Know who you can turn to for these things and you’ll always be grounded.
- Practice, practice, practice. A healthy, balanced, lifestyle isn’t something that you can suddenly attain. It’s fluid, and changeable, and a daily process. Be mindful in your choices and reflect on how you can live your best life. Don’t be too hard on yourself & let yourself live authentically!